For Quilter, intelligent designs that you can create on almost any type of fabric at higher speeds, the Janome 1600P High Speed sewing and quilting machine is the best way to describe it
in one sentence. It’s not just a sewing machine because it works well with quilting.
The 1600P is everything you need for projects that require sewing, quilting, patching and even upholstery. Here is a look at these sewing machines outstanding features.
Product features of the Janome 1600P
- Two LED lighting of two krypton lamps.
- Industrially constructed lever for thread take-up.
- With sealed bearings on the waves.
- Suitable for a pressure level of 11 pounds on the presser foot.
- The easy-to-read thread diagram is printed on the front of the device.
- Tension lever for thread is synchronized.
- The downloadable product brochure is available in PDF format.
- Equipped with a mounting plate made of metal.
- Industrial-quality rotary hooks can be loaded laterally.
- The easy to follow diagram of the coil winding is printed on the top of the machine.
- No stalling due to the fluid response of the foot control.
- The stitch length can vary up to 6 mm.
- Thread trimmer is automatically for more convenience.
- Flatbed has no oil holes.
- Workspace measures a roomy 8.85 inches by 5.5 inches.
- Memory for setting the needle up and down.
- Foot control is electronic.
- Industrial precision of preload threading.
- The lack of an external motor ensures quiet operation of the machine.
- The presser foot is supplied with a sensor.
- The short handle is collapsible for convenience.
- Bobbin Wickler is independent of other mechanisms.
- The speed control is variable depending on the needs of the user.
- Capable of 1.600 SPM.
- The toggle is ergonomically designed for a variety of settings.
Our review of the Janome 1600p
Bobbin winding and threading are hard to achieve with sewing machines, but the 1600P model goes through both in a snap. They have both tasks with easy to read and easy to follow schematics. From the introduction of the coil in the housing to the coil holder on the race of the machine everything becomes easy.
Even beginner channels will find it easy to set the dials for both stitch length and tension. For a machine that runs like a heavy-duty industrial sewing machine, the Janome 1600p-qc 390 is remarkably quiet and vibration-free. The body is made of painted aluminum.
This model is suitable for users of all skill levels in the sewer system and is a prime example of the versatility of everyday sewing such as patch working to heavy quilting. Designed specifically for heavy-duty sewing, this model delivers amazing results even on heavy fabric projects such as suede purses, corduroy coats, vinyl covers.
The standard accessory is always a “professional” and the sewing machine has it:
- Spool cap.
- Hemmer foot.
- A piece of HL x 5-14.
- Fabric guide including screw.
- Operation manual.
- Lubricating oil.
- A piece of HL x 5-9.
- Spool holder.
- Small screwdriver.
- A piece of HL x 5-16.
- Kitchen sink.
- Two pieces of HL x 5-11.
- Lint brush.
- Big screwdriver.
This Janome sewing machine is a workhorse when it comes to the abundance of fabrics it can absorb. You will not have problems with the following substances:
- Reptile skin.
- Medium to heavy knitwear.
- Other types of thick tissue.
- Extension worktable (optional).
- Other types of synthetic fabrics.
- Several layers of fabric.
Although the Model 1600P has a convenient, short, foldable handle, portability may be impractical due to the volume of the machine. I’ve seen a few customer reviews reporting issues with the automatic threading feature, but I have not encountered any issues with it. One thing you consider “con” is the fact that the 1600P is strictly a “straight stitch” sewing machine.
The top of this “Con”, also known as “professional”, is that the model is perfect for projects that require long and straight stitches to be good, dense and sturdy. That’s why it’s a popular choice with quilters. And while the machine speed is adjustable and can be set to 800 SPM, some users still find this speed setting much faster and therefore more intimidating than their sewing ability.
What customers say
Some customers on third-party websites mentioned the “old-fashioned feel” of Janome models like the 1600 because of its mechanical nature and solid, heavy frame. Quilter and other drainage channels praise this model for its excellent performance in straight seams. However, this has disappointed those who expected features like buttonholing and zigzag stitching in this model.
From my experience, even beginners have no problems with this sewing machine. While it has a tremendous range of functions, it is best suited for quilters and not for other types of sewers. This is because, as noted elsewhere in this report, the performance of this particular model, while undeniably excellent, is limited and exclusive to straight stitch.
In view of this, the Janome 1600P sewing machine is a “must have” for serious or even would-be serious quilters. The severity of “Con” mentioned above should not prevent you from buying this model if you are determined to quilt extensively on a regular basis. But if you want more embroidery, stitches, etc., you should pay attention to the embroidery machines recommended here.
2 thoughts on “Janome 1600p Review – High Speed Straightstitch Sewing Machine”
Thanks for your review. I have been considering this machine for some time and with your answers, the questions I had helped my decision. I have a serger and in most cases it is big, except for quilting and bag making, which I would most like to sew on. I have a few sewing machines with all the features of zigzag and more, including one that also embroiders. Quilting on her not so easy
Thank you for your detailed rating, which has helped me decide whether or not to buy this device. I already have a mechanical base Janome and I’m very happy with it, but the Janome 1600P may not be the best upgrade for me. I can only live with the straight stitches, but the minimum speed of 800 SPM is something that I would find problematic. Many of my sewing projects require less speed. I would like to have a bike without breaks!